"Duck Hunt" - NES/Famicom

Alright, now we're getting back into the stuff people actually recognize.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm probably gonna stop writing these header sections because I'm quickly realizing I have no idea what to say because my life is painfully boring.

Let's just get to the video-game talk.

----- Introduction -----


Duck Hunt! I think that's the third time I've started an introduction with just the game title and an exclamation point! It's very exciting!

You probably recognize Duck Hunt as being the source of that one dog from the new Super Smash Bros., but before he was pissing people off in that game, that dog was pissing people off in a much simpler time. I'll avoid the low-hanging fruit of firing shots at him (rimshot) since that's what every person who's ever talked about Duck Hunt has ever decided they needed to do.


You're on thin ice though, dog.

This one is also produced by Gunpei Yokoi, creator of the Game & Watch handheld system and also the creator of the Beam Gun toy, a 1976 toy that later inspired the NES Zapper-- also called the Beam Gun in Japan.

I like that it's just an electric laser shooting out of the gun.
I imagine the duck exploding into feathers directly after this image.

Nintendo's Research & Development Team 1 decided to revive this idea for the Famicom, and so was born that stupid dog that everyone hates, and here we are 30-some years later ready to talk about it again.

So let's get going already, jeez.

----- Playing the Game -----


Duck Hunt offers three modes to test your duck murdering skills in-- helpfully labeled 1 Duck, 2 Duck, Red Duck, Blue Du-- I mean, Clay Shooting. I appreciate that they're not just called Game A, B, and C with no description like Wild Gunman. 

If you're really thinking ahead, you may have guessed that Game A involves shooting one duck at a time. Not the most compelling of modes, but a great tutorial to show you how this game works, in case you couldn't figure out why you have a gun, and why the game is called Duck Hunt.

I don't get it, why's there a duck? What's my goal here? There are too many variables!

Game B is where it starts getting interesting, and significantly more difficult. In this game, two ducks are let loose on the screen, and you have to shoot them both before they fly away. That's, like, two times the fun as Game A. (No, I've never made that joke before. What are you talking about?)

Someone take this away from me, quick! I think I'm becoming desensitized to violence!

Game C was always my favorite as a kid, and it's still the most satisfying one for some reason as an adult. In this mode you shoot 'clay pigeons' which are fired from the screen towards some pretty cool looking mountains off in the distance. There's a little bit of strategy here, as it turns out if you wait until they're just about to disappear to shoot them, you get 1500 points instead of 1000.

I think it's satisfying because of the little poot sound they make when you shoot them.

Those tree placements look completely natural.

----- Review -----


Spitting Rage: Nah
Does the game make you want to tear your own organs out of your body?

Like Wild Gunman, this game is just good fun. Maybe the dog is a little annoying when he laughs at you for being bad, but maybe you should try just being good instead so you don't have to see that, and then you'll be alright.

I can't believe you're failing at Duck Hunt...

Intuitive Design: Good
How easy is it to intuitively understand the game?

Do you know what "hunt" means? Good, you understand the game.

Satisfying Gameplay: Good
How rewarding does playing the game feel?

I like when the clay pigeons go PBTTHT! Also the game has a dissatisfying flash and SSSHHH sound when you miss, which makes getting the hit even more rewarding. It's a good feeling game.

Game Depth: Shallow
How deep/long is the game?

Shoot the ducks, shoot the clay pigeons. That's about all you've got to do, here.

Sound Design: Minimal, Good
How's the sound?

I like it. The little ditties that play inbetween rounds and at the title are fun, and the sounds are good. I think the sounds are well designed.

Graphics: Good
How's it look?

Like Wild Gunman (did you click this link, yet!?), the sprites in this game generally look good. I think the reason the dog is so memorable is because his iconic sprite is very visible, considering the tiny sprites that usually populate 80s games. The mountains in the clay pigeon shooting one always looked really impressive to me as a kid, too. They don't so much now, but they look pretty good for an NES game.

Personal Chord: Yes
Does the game have that undefinable "something" for me?

Finally, one of "my" NES games. This is one I grew up with, and I happen to like the dog, and the music, and the ducks. It's a cute little game. It has t-shirt appeal.

Play or Don't: Play
Should you waste your precious time?

It's Duck Hunt! You don't have much to lose by playing it. It's culturally relevant to gaming, and you can try all three modes and quit in 15 minutes if you're tired of it. Why not give it a shot (rimshot)?

-----

He's actually a cool guy, when you get to know him.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED THIS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO ANYTHING

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Honshougi: Naitou Kudan Shougi Hiden" - NES/Famicom

"Jaseiken Necromancer" - Turbografx-16/PC-Engine

"Antarctic Adventure" - NES/Famicom