"Galaxian" - NES/Famicom

----- Introduction -----


Aw man, it's been a little while since I got to play something I already know I like. How exciting. Galaxian!

By this point in time, though (1984), Galaxian was already showing its age-- designed and released in arcades 5 years earlier, in 1979! Isn't that nuts? Anyway, apparently it was a big enough success to be worth putting on home console, even those several years later.

I'd say it was worth it, because Galaxian still seems to hold up even when compared to the other, newer arcade games being put on NES that we've reviewed so far! But let me actually write the post before I give away the ending.

According to Wikipedia, Galaxian is the game that popularized RGB for arcade games, which gives it its distinctive colorful look, the same type you see in Pac-Man and Galaga. It also popularized the scrolling backgrounds that became a staple of games in general during the 80s... and 90s, I guess.

In general, it sounds like this game was pretty mind-blowing to look at... in 1979. This is 1984, so we'll have to adjust our critical lens to account for how things looked and played around it at that point in time. I mean, theoretically that seems like the right thing to do to me, but I'm an idiot, so--

Hey, look, here comes the game! Stop questioning my methods and look!

Wow, how shiny and colorful! Almost makes you forget any disagreements you had with anything you've read recently...

----- Playing the Game -----


Galaxian is best known, I think, for mutating the Space Invaders formula into something more creative and memorable. The main aspect of it is the same-- there are some aliens that move back and forth in a group, and you control a ship that can shoot one shot on-screen at a time. That's the basic Space Invaders formula.

Well, whoopty freakin' do, Galaxian!

The mix-up comes almost immediately though. In Space Invaders, as you kill the enemies, the squad speeds up, coming at you with the furious adrenaline rush that only those familiar with watching all of their friends die on the battlefield can understand. In Galaxian, though, the aliens are a little more excitable. Instead of staying as a squad while you shoot on, the big twist that was eventually perfected in Galaga was introduced.

They fly down the screen at you.

I'll hold for gasps of shock and the inevitable applause that accompany all great inventions.

(I tried to find this video of people applauding when the guy went around the ladder in Assassin's Creed at that one game demo in like 2005, but I didn't find it so just... just imagine it.)

Man, this game is lame I don't know what everyon-- wh-- whhhaaAAAAA-- AAAAAAAAAAAA!?

It's easy to see why this was pretty exciting in 1979-- given, I don't know what other shooters were around exactly, and maybe it's not as revolutionary as it's given credit for, but it certainly feels like a big departure from the Space Invaders formula. This is way more in your face; you're having to personally dodge these incoming ships that are trying to collide with you.

Anyway, I said we'd talk about it on 1984 terms, so let's do that a little more.

Sorry, I got a '70s boner when I meant to get an '80s halfie.

I'd say the game still holds up remarkably well on the Famicom, alongside titles like Donkey Kong 3 and Nuts & Milk, I mean those are just simple arcade games as well. Galaxian actually slides right into its place rather comfortably here on the Famicom, as really the first good purely shooter title we've seen so far.

Anyway, you basically shoot these waves of aliens until they eventually kill you. They get faster and shoot more shots as you get more round clears under your belt, and that's about it. They start with the same formation every single time.

Eventually, you'll get overwhelmed. This is basically a score-attack kind of a game.

Or you can race to see who can lose the game the fastest. I like to think I'm probably a record holder.

----- Review -----


Innovation: No
Does the game show anything not yet seen on this system/ever before?

Even though this game is a lot of fun, I'm going to have to say that it really doesn't do anything that Donkey Kong 3 didn't bring to the system already in our previous review. It has the same formula of a shooting game where things come down the screen at you. Galaxian was revolutionary in the 70s, but on the Famicom in the 80s, I think it had already seen its match.

Spitting Rage: Naw
Does the game make you want to tear your own organs out of your body?

This game's just good fun. I think it's a quality of repetitive arcade games that since there's not much of a goal to get to, it's hard to be frustrated. I could play this for a good while. Your only goal is getting a little further than last time, and enjoying the game in the moment.

Intuitive Design: Good
How easy is it to intuitively understand the game?

Move and shoot. Can't miss it.

Satisfying Gameplay: Yes
How rewarding does playing the game feel?

I'm biased, because I think nearly all shooting games feel pretty rewarding. It's fun to press the button to shoot and watch the enemies go poik! I think Galaxian does this as well as, or better than, many.

Game Depth: Shallow
How deep/long is the game?

Move and shoot! Don't get cornered. The only strategy I developed over time was noticing the movement patterns of the different colors of aliens-- other than that, there wasn't much to learn.

Look, just go left or right! You're confusing me!

Sound Design: Pretty good
How's the sound?

I like the sound in this game! It's simple and not overwhelming, just like Galaga. It's mostly just bleeps and bloops, but they're not annoying, anyway.

Graphics: Also pretty good
How's it look?

To be honest, the scrolling background with the stars still looks pretty cool even on the NES. The enemies aren't as detailed or exciting as some of the games we've played (Donkey Kong 3 comes to mind again), but they look detailed and colorful enough to be interesting.

Personal Chord: Yes
Does the game have that undefinable "something" for me?

I love Galaga, so I'm probably biased because Galaxian is like baby Galaga. This is a fun game though, and I enjoyed playing it again, even if it's the simpler and less memorable of the two brothers.

Play or Don't: Play
Should you waste your precious time?

I think you should! I mean, not waste your time, but spend your time thriftily, and wisely, by playing Galaxian.

Or ideally, go play Galaga.

But I'm not allowed to say that because we're not there yet, so yes, Galaxian is worth playing if you don't think about the other one too hard.

-----

Comments

  1. I was gonna ask the thing but you answered it at the end :p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Honshougi: Naitou Kudan Shougi Hiden" - NES/Famicom

"Jaseiken Necromancer" - Turbografx-16/PC-Engine

"Antarctic Adventure" - NES/Famicom